Friday, March 7, 2008

Open Word Documents without using Word

If you don't have Microsoft Office Word installed, you can use Word Viewer to open, view, or print documents that were created by using Microsoft Office Word 2007, 2003, 2002, or 2000. However, you cannot edit, save, or create a new Word document unless you have Word installed.

Here what you can do:

1. Download and install Word Viewer

2. Download and install Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 Files Formats.

Once those two are installed, you can open any Word document.

Word Viewer and Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack can be found on the Microsoft webpage, www.microsoft.com/downloads. Be sure to select Word Viewer, and not Word Viewer 2003. Word Viewer 2003 is the old version.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With Word 2007 coming, I need to find out how I can obtain it on my home computer for use with my students. I was told that faculty have some more economical options through SMUMN IT. Can you tell us more about that? I currently use OpenOffice products, but when I try to send documents or receive documents using other word processors sometimes the formatting doesn't stay true. So I think with the advent of Word 2007, I might just have to bite the bullet and get Microsoft products back on my computer. Tell me what you think.